Friday, August 16, 2013

One Dish Macaroni and Cheese (a.k.a. Creamy Cheesy Pasta)

Warning: when making this for kids do NOT call it mac and cheese, because they will be expecting something of the blue box Kraft variety and this ain't it. My kids think this is gross when I call it mac and cheese. But, if I say we are having Creamy Cheesy Pasta, they eat this with almost no problem. Almost. Because they are still my kids and they feel they need to always cause problems at dinner. But they eat it a lot better anyway. It is a lightened, healthified version of homemade macaroni and cheese and I love it!

One-Dish Macaroni and Cheese
from: Set for Life: Eat More, Weigh Less, Feel Terrific by Jane P. Merrill and Karen M. Sunderland

Ingredients:
-1 TBSP butter or margarine
-1/4 onion, chopped
-2 c. uncooked vegetable macaroni ( I use Wacky Mac)
-1/2 tsp. salt
-dash pepper
-1/8 tsp. oregano
-1/2 tsp. dried mustard
-2 c. water
-2 TBSP flour
-1 12 oz. can evaporated lowfat milk (no substitutions)
-1/2 c. finely shredded cheddar ( the original recipe calls for sharp, I never have sharp and I think it still taste great, and truth be told, I probably use a little more than 1/2 c. :) )

In electric fry pan, melt butter (I'm sure you could use a stove top pan, this cookbook is from the 1980's). Add onion, uncooked macaroni, salt, pepper, oregano, and dry mustard. Cook on low, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until onion looks clear. Add water and bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low for 8-10 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle flour over macaroni. Stir to mix well. Stir in milk and cheese, adding additional milk if needed to thin to desired consistency. Heat through and serve. Yield 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment