Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fettuccine Alfredo with Asparagus

I got this recipe from my homegirl Nikki who got it from a Pasta Cookbook that I gave her for her birthday. I love the asparagus with the pasta in this creamy sauce, and it is very simple to make.

Fettuccine Alfredo with Asparagus

-1 lb of asparagus (this makes the asaparagus/pasta ratio pretty heavy on the asparagus side, which I really really like, but when I served it to my husband it was met with raised eyebrows. So you might want to start with maybe 1/2 lb. and change it to your liking as needed.)
-3/4 lb. fettuccine (I am sure you could use a different pasta, but the length and thickness of the fettuccine go really well with the asparagus and the cream sauce)
-4 TBSP. butter, cut into pieces
-1 c. heavy cream
-pinch of grated nutmeg ( I have not yet grated my own nutmeg, I just use the dry stuff from my spice cabinet)
-3/4 tsp. salt
-1/8 tsp. black pepper
-1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese ( I recommend grating this yourself, it melts better and its cheaper)

Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and discard them. Cut the asparagus spears into 1 inch pieces. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fettuccine until almost done, about 8 minutes. Add the asparagus; cook until it and the pasta are just done, about 4 minutes longer. Drain the pasta and asparagus. Toss with the butter, cream, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and parmesan. Serve with additional parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment